website-is-up-and-running
Concord Tavern from Heritage Toronto
Concord Tavern
925 Bloor Street West

The Concord Tavern opened in this building on June 14, 1948. It originally operated as a restaurant with live music, hosting big band concerts. There was no cover charge; the alcohol-free section was marked on the floor with tape. During the early 1960s, as the focus shifted to rock, country, and blues music, major acts such as Conway Twitty, Bo Diddley, and Duane Eddy came here to play. Around the same time, musician Ronnie Hawkins recruited a house band, The Hawks, who played high-energy rockabilly during the club's twist dance parties. The Hawks performed seven nights a week, sometimes sleeping upstairs. They later became The Band, one of North America's most influential groups, and created a new electric sound as Bob Dylan's back-up band. As business waned in the late 1970s and early 1980s, management increasingly booked adult performers. The Concord Tavern closed in 1983. HERITAGE TORONTO 2016